Welcome to our celebration of Pentecost! We remember the power of the Holy Spirit revealed like wind and flame, and trust in the Spirit’s ongoing work in the church and world.
If you have children ages 0-2, we’d love to serve them through childcare in our nursery. Children in Worship and Little Lambs ages 3 through Kindergarten will be dismissed during morning worship.
Noise reducing headphones are now available to borrow during the morning service at the nursery counter. If your child lives with sensory input concerns, please feel free to use them.
We offer a sensory-friendly worship area for morning services, available in the Music Room (at the end of the hallway past the offices).
Hearing Loop Headsets are available for those who are hard of hearing. Please stop by the sound booth at the back of the sanctuary to receive a headset.
This Week's worship
May 20, 2018
10:00 AM Service 5:00 Combined Service (note time!)
Preacher: Pastor Stan Sturing hosted by Ridgewood CRC
Text: Acts 2:1-41
Offering: General/Building Fund Offering: Christian Schools International
After our morning worship service, there will be someone in the Prayer Room to pray with you, talk with you, and walk with you to God. The Prayer Room is at the east end of the church’s main hallway.
Our joint evening service at 5 PM at Ridgewood CRC will be a celebration for the coming of the Holy Spirit. We'll look together at Jesus' promises, the events of Pentecost, and the teaching of the Epistles. A joint choir will lead us in worship, and meditations will be brought by Pastors Rich Visser and Steve Mann.
Children's Ministry Volunteers This Week Sunday - May 20
Nursery Check-in Liz Wiersema
Nursery Jeff, Julie & Tessa Hoeksema, LaDawn Venema
Little Lambs Karen DeVries, Erin & Josh Rotman, Abigail Reinhart
Children in Worship (Pre-K) Melissa Bebej, Alex Potter, Jacob Buit
Children in Worship (K) Julie Baker, Britta DeLong, Hailey Koetje
Sensory Room Kathy Boeve
Next SUNDAY's Worship - May 27
10:00 AM Service 5:00 Combined Service (note time!)
Preacher: Pastor Mark Stephenson hosted by Baldwin Street CRC
Text: Colossians 3:1-4
Offering: General/Building Fund Offering: Jenison Christian School
Our guest pastor next Sunday morning is Rev. Mark Stephenson, Director of Disability Concerns for the Christian Reformed Church in North America. At 5 PM we will gather at Baldwin Street CRC.
Children's Ministry Volunteers Next Week - Sunday, May 27
Nursery Check-in Liz Wiersema
Nursery Eric, Jackie & Kelly Boss, Lois Oppenhuizen
Little Lambs No Little Lambs next week
Children in Worship No Children in Worship next week
Sensory Room Emily Hull
Prayer Requests for May 13-19
- GARY PLANTINGA (FG #7) was scheduled for a complete right hip replacement on Thursday, May 17. Please pray that surgery was successful and that Gary will experience good healing and relief from pain.
- BETTY DE JONGE (FG #5), entered her heavenly home on Friday, May 11. Betty was an aunt to Jim DeJonge and great-aunt to Steve DeJonge. Give thanks for Betty’s life of faith and pray for comfort for her family during this time of grief.
- ELIZABETH WARSEN’s (FG #6) shoulder surgery on Wednesday went well. Pray for patience and healing throughout the long recovery process. Pray for Elizabeth’s two sons, Bennett & Cooper, as they learn to adjust to these changes and learn to be extra supportive to a Mom who will need them.
- Pray for ODIE DEJONGE, husband of Maxine Bowers (FG #2), who underwent an experimental heart surgery on Wednesday, May 16. Surgery went well; pray that his recovery will be swift and complete. Pray also for strength for Maxine as she cares for him.
- We express our sympathy to ESTHER MEEUWENBERG (FG #8) in the death of her 94-year-old sister, Cora Vogel, who passed away last Sunday, May 13, in Wisconsin. Pray for comfort and peace for Esther in this homegoing of a dear sister.
- JIM MEYERING’S (FG #4) health is declining, and he is now under hospice care. The family is requesting no visitors at this time. Pray that Jim and his family will feel the loving arms of our Savior upholding them during this difficult time.
- FAIRWAY COUNCIL MEMBERS OF THE WEEK: This week please pray for John Machiela and Mike Weber as they serve as pastoral elder and deacon for fellowship group #2. As they fill these crucial roles in the life of Fairway Church, pray that the wisdom, strength and guidance of the Holy Spirit will equip them for their tasks.
- FAIRWAY MINISTRY OF THE WEEK: Give thanks for the Children in Worship and Little Lambs leaders and helpers who have faithfully led our children throughout this school year. Pray that their work will sow seeds of faith that will take root and grow in these little ones’ hearts and lives.
News & Notes
VBS Volunteer Registration Now Open!
VBS is June 25-28
Vacation Bible School is more than just a fun week – of course it’s fun!! VBS is also meant to help kids understand God's Word and put it into practice. We have an awesome theme this year: SUPERHEROES of faith. We will have a chance to hear and respond to how God equips and fills us to be superheroes of faith too!
This is really the goal of all discipleship at every level – to hear and respond to God's Word. I hope that you will prayerfully consider giving your time to this kingdom building opportunity to reach kids in our community! It will be SUPER!!
Men’s Softball Sign-up
MEN’S SOFTBALL (ages 18+) will begin May 29 and go into August. Please join us for some fun at Hughes Park on Tuesday nights. Game times start as early as 6pm. Feel free to invite a friend, coworker, and/or neighbor and sign up in the Narthex. Call Rob Koetje with any questions.
By Esther Meeuwenberg
We need you to dig them out!
These are treasures, we all should give a shout!
We would like to display them for the month of June,
so you better start looking, because that’s coming up soon!
Whether you’ve been married a good long time, or just a week ago.
We want to fill up the bulletin board – it sure will be a good show!
You can put the picture in Trudie Holwerda’s or Esther Meeuwenberg’s mailbox. Questions? Call Esther at
457-5283 or Trudie at 896-7105.
Opportunities to Connect with Others
Ongoing Ministry for Depression: The Depression Support Group meets on the third Monday of each month from 7-8 PM in the educational wing. This group is open to anyone in our community who struggles with depression or has a loved one who is depressed. You are invited to attend this safe and confidential group experience. No registration is necessary. The group will meet on Monday, May 21. Contact Ruth Veenstra (748-8380) or Jim VanderMay (662-0962) for more information.
COFFEE BREAK – Ladies, we’ll gather on Thursdays at 9:30 AM at Signatures Coffee Shop (6375 Balsam Dr). Join us!
JOIN US FOR BREAKFAST on Friday, June 1, at 8:30 AM at the Hudsonville Rainbow Grill.
OUR NEXT MEETING is Sunday, June 3, following the evening service. Our speaker will be Harry Holwerda and his topic will be “The Eyes of Jesus”. Plan on signing up for next season’s lunch committee.
We have scheduled a tram tour of Meijer Gardens on Tuesday, June 12 at 10:30 AM. We will be meeting at church and leaving promptly at 9:45 AM (note time change), in order to arrive there before 10:30 AM. Admission is $10 plus $4 for the tram ride. You can choose to do the inside walk for $1, and if you stay for lunch, the cost is $11 - $12. Sign up with payment of $14 no later than Sunday, June 3. (Sign-up sheet in lobby, checks should be made payable to Mary Komejan.)
Zumba will meet this Monday & Thursday from 7-8 PM. Cost is $3 per class – join us!
7AM MEN’S MORNING BIBLE STUDY will meet again this Wednesday, May 23.
Meet Up & Eat Up This Summer!
Love In the Name of Christ has serving opportunities for individuals or families to serve in our community. Meet Up and Eat Up is a federally funded program that provides free meals to children who may be facing food insecurities during the summer.
Members of local churches are encouraged to sign up to serve each week. Volunteers serve one hour a week either in Hudsonville at Presidential Estates (5075 Presidential Lane) or Bursley Elementary School (1195 Port Sheldon) in Jenison. The program runs Monday thru Thursday for eight weeks beginning June 18th thru August 9th; volunteers are asked to serve weekly preferably on the same day each week.
Responsibilities include setting up a lunch area, enjoying the lunchtime with the children, cleaning up and assisting with a short activity. 2-3 Volunteers are needed at each site each day. Choose a day of the week between Monday and Thursday at Presidential Estates from noon to 1 PM or at
Bursley Elementary from12:30-1:30 PM. Learn more by calling David Draayer at Love INC 616-662-3300 ext. 113.
June 13 & July 10 at 6 PM
VACATION BIBLE SCHOOL
July 12-14, 2018 at Camp Michawana
REACHING OUT AUCTION
October 6, 2018
Check the church website Events page for the most up-to-date calendar of all activities.
Order of Worship
May 20, 2018 - 10 AM
Gathering Song “Holy Spirit”
Welcome & Announcements
* God Greets Us
* Songs of Praise “Our God”
* Confession & Grace
* Sung Affirmation “The Power of the Cross”
Passing the Peace
Prayer with the Children (Pastor Stan)
Offering: Fairway’s General/Building Fund
Ministry Moment: Cody Zuiderveen, Missionary to Haiti
Prayer for Illumination (Doug Scholma)
Scripture Reading: Acts 2:1-41
Message: “Everyone Who Calls” Pastor Stan Sturing
Prayer of Application
* Song of Response “Holy Spirit, Living Breath of God”
* Parting Blessing
Go in peace to love and serve the Lord.